The Department of Social Work will offer an MSW Advanced Standing cohort that is fully online, with asynchronous and synchronous* courses and a face-to-face field component, beginning in summer session II of 2022. This online program is designed to meet the needs of potential sutdents and human service agencies in the region. Students in this program will join a network of social work professionals and will be prepared to work locally and globally as advanced social work practitioners. The program offers two concentrations: (a) Individuals and Families and (b) Community and Organizational Practice. It also features our unique crossover design in which students take two courses from the other concentration. Please see the additional details below.
*It is anticipated that synchronous courses will be offered Tuesday and Thursday evenings, subject to change.
MSW Advanced Standing Online Program - Summer Session II
- The Department of Social Work will offer an online Advanced Standing Cohort with a face-to-face field placement beginning Summer II session in 2022.
- This program is designed for those applicants who earned a BSW Degree from a CSWE-accredited University within the past 7 years and have a 3.2 grade point average in their undergraduate social work courses. Please see the link for admissions and application information at the bottom of this page.
- The Advanced Standing / MSW 33 Program will take approximately 1 year to complete, including summers. Advanced Standing students complete 30 hours of the advanced concentration content that includes a face-to-face concentration field placement and seminar (http://socialwork.appstate.edu/graduate/concentrations). They must also complete a 3-hour transitional seminar course in the summer prior to beginning the concentration content.
- The online program can be pursued on a part-time basis, and typically takes 2 years to complete.
- There will be a 100% face-to-face concentration field placement and online seminar; this includes 480 hours total of field work and 24 hours total of field seminar for the fall/spring semester. The program reserves the right to modify the field placement and seminar delivery format. The program may make a temporary reduction in hours for any given semester based on changes in policy and/or the academic calendar due to COVID-19 or other unforeseen circumstances. Students are expected to complete field placements within a 150 mile radius of Appalachian State University's campus in Boone, NC.
(Please note that students complete their field placements in various human service settings across the region, typically during weekday business hours.)
Additional information about the App State Online program can be found here: online.appstate.edu.
Additional information about admissions requirements and the application package can be found here: http://socialwork.appstate.edu/graduate-msw/admission
For more information about the Distance Social Work Programs, contact:
Deborah L. Phillips, PhD,
MSW Program Director