BSW Mission Statement
The BSW Program’s mission is to prepare generalist professional social workers. Our students partner with Appalachian and global communities and engage in interprofessional collaboration to advance the health and well-being of individuals, families, groups and communities. Our graduates understand the complexity of social problems, challenge systems of oppression and advance social, economic, and environmental justice.
BSW Program Goals
- Provide educational opportunities to assist undergraduate students in gaining the competencies necessary for generalist social work practice.
- Extend learning opportunities to students on the main campus as well as to those living in the High Country and surrounding communities of western North Carolina.
- Provide classroom, community, and practice opportunities which reflect the needs of the High Country of North Carolina, and that facilitate knowledge and skills which are transferable to national and global contexts.
- Provide a learning environment which promotes personal development, scientific inquiry, and the professional values of the social work profession.
- Provide a curriculum that is preparatory to graduate level social work education.